Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Awkward Valentine's Day

Today is the dreaded day of love, am I right? It's a day to not be quite sure how you feel, even if you do get roses and breakfast and bed (thanks, Jon).

I mean, it seems arbitrary, right? The work of so many marketers, each one telling us how to treat each other on some random day mid-February. We dress in pink and glaze the day with sugar and sprinkles.

Well, I'm with you. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it all. I don't like the word V-day (shudder) and I hate being told to spend money. I don't like drawing attention to my relationship status. Heaven knows I didn't deserve to be married, but somehow it happened.

On the other hand, I love writing clever puns on cards and dumping pink frosting on everything. I love surprises and sugar and the color red. I love cutting and gluing and glitter and, oh, should I give the one with the lion on it to the boy that I like? Or should I go with the peacock? Such fond memories. I loved the drama of Valentine's Day as a girl, or I do now, looking back on it.

The best part of Valentine's Day is the awkwardness of it all--married or single, steady or just kind of going out. So, I'd like to celebrate the most awkward of holidays with a few awkward pictures, to symbolize how we all feel inside on this day of days.


This is from Valentine's Day 2009. We were in Disneyland and I think Jon hated it. Awkward.


I don't know why this picture happened. We were in England, though, so that's cool.


Family photo 2010.


That's me on the very left side, my face taken up by those monstrous glasses. That squished-up baby next to me is Heidi.


Yes. That's me. Not the blonde, though.


Now I'm the one on the very right. I suppose I'm holding Heidi up for the photo. I think I'm not doing a very good job. Also, nice overall jorts.

And now for some awkward wedding photos. 


This is one. Why do so many of my awkward photos involve squishing Heidi? I shall have to give her a good Valentine's Day squish when I'm done with this. 


Someone must have told Jon to sit like a little old lady. 
Also, he did it perfectly. Bums out!


Rachel. And Me. And Jon. And bush. 


Just doing my mid-wedding arm stretches.  



And this. 

Happy Awkward Valentine's Day, everyone. 

8 comments:

  1. You are so funny Becca! This was awesome to read. Happy "unawkward?" Valentine's to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I hope you had a great (and hopefully unawkward) Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Just think, soon you'll have your own awkward wedding photos.

      Delete
  3. You are talented, beautiful and have a great sense of humor. You deserve not only to be married but to be happily married!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice of you to say. I enjoy myself, anyway, so that's a start...

      Delete
  4. hahaha love. Antelope Island even. Good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I only wish I had the family reunion picture where we're all posed around a bunch of fallen logs and a river. I have the best ever chin shelf on that one, I wish I could share it.

      Delete